An apple a day keeps the doctor away – but did you know that pets can, too? That’s right; your furry friends at home do much more than just sleep, look cute, and beg for more food. In fact, there are scientifically proven health benefits that occur when you bring home your newly-adopted puppy or kitten.
According to the CDC, owning at least one pet results in the following:
- Decrease of blood pressure
- Decrease of cholesterol levels
- Decrease of triglyceride levels
- Decreases feelings of loneliness
- Increase of opportunities for exercise and outdoor activities
- Increase of opportunities for socialization
The decrease of blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and triglyceride levels ultimately lead to a decrease of future heart attacks, and an increased recovery rate for those patients who have already had a heart attack.
Although everyone can benefit from their dog or cat, they open a window of opportunity for our seniors. As stated above, it provides opportunities for exercise, a way to get out of the house, socialization, and a purpose. Owning a pet creates a routine – there are certain things you have to do every day to maintain your pet and keep them happy (and in turn they keep you happy).
All too often, emotional well-being and mental health are overlooked amidst seniors, but they can affect our health in the same ways as physical ailments. Being able to identify the warning signs in those at risk of loneliness, and tending to them, can help sustain the cognitive processes and life of you or your loved ones.
So put down your apple, and go adopt a new furry friend.
In addition to a furry friend, if you believe you or a loved one is suffering from social isolation or loneliness, Granny NANNIES offers home health care services that can slow down or reverse the effects. The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or Home Health Aide (HHA) that is assigned to you or your loved one can help with:
- Companionship. Knowing there is someone who looks forward to eating meals together or watches TV shows can dramatically increase the disposition of you or your loved one.
- Transportation. If an inability to drive has prevented you or a loved one from engaging in social activities, Granny NANNIES act as a chauffeur.
- Safety and supervision. If a fear of falling is preventing any outings, caregivers are there to lean on.
Granny NANNIES offers home health care services 24 hours a day, seven days a week, or as needed, for all ages and levels of care. Founded in 1990, Granny NANNIES maintains a commitment to excellence and a strong dedication to treating clients with the highest level of respect and dignity. For quality, trustworthy, reliable and affordable care, Granny NANNIES is there.