The Impact of Low Vision and Its Effect on Seniors
Low vision in the elderly is a common problem, as our eyes undergo different changes over time. While most of us will not suffer from complete blindness, millions currently suffer from some form of visual impairment, with numbers growing rapidly as we age.
Low vision makes it difficult to work and manage many of the activities of daily living. The impact of low vision can be devastating, professionally trained caregivers can assist people with low vision improve their quality of life resulting in increased safety, more freedom, and restored confidence.
Symptoms of low vision include:
- Being unable to recognize familiar faces
- Having difficulty performing tasks that require you to look at close-up details, such as reading or cooking
- Having difficulty performing tasks at work or at home because the lights seem dim
- Being unable to read street signs
American Foundation for the blind Home Safety Tips for Low Vision: Live Independently and Avoid Falling
- Keep rooms well lit. Good overall lighting is a must for safety
- Use task lighting to make everyday activities easier
- Use nightlights in bedrooms, hallways, bathrooms, and the kitchen to make it easier for people with low vision to navigate in the dark.
- Make stairways safer by adding color strips to first/last steps to identify change of level.
- Make door frames and light switches easier to see by painting them a color that contrasts with the walls around them.
- Place plates and foodservice items on placemats that are a contrasting color.
- Use a pill organizer with raised markings or talking labels to help prevent serious medication mishaps.
- Eliminate clutter – dispose of unnecessary items, put things away as soon as you have finished using them, and always return them to the same place.
If you or a loved one are in need of assistance with activities of daily living or help in monitoring other health concerns, CNAs and HHAs are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for all ages and levels of care. Granny NANNIES believes in treating clients with the highest level of respect and dignity and maintains the commitment to excellence that it was founded upon in 1990. For quality, trustworthy, reliable and affordable care, Granny NANNIES is there.